Why use a SharePoint Electronic Document Management System (EDMS)?
A SharePoint Electronic Document Management System (EDMS) is an excellent choice when choosing your next system to tame your piles of documents. In this blog, we give you a dozen reasons why a SharePoint® EDMS might just be the solution you’re looking for even in highly regulated companies life pharmaceuticals and medical device manufacturers.
12 Compelling reasons why you must use a SharePoint EDMS
- You’re likely already using SharePoint somewhere in your business. Given its almost limitless flexibility and scalability, SharePoint allows you to build modules on top of it without the need for extra licences. This means the entry costs for a SharePoint EDMS are very low.
- Your staff will likely have used SharePoint or other Microsoft® products before, reducing training costs, increasing the ease of adoption, and boosting the chance of a successful implementation.
- It’s an enterprise-wide solution, not just a controlled ‘Document Management System’. SharePoint can be configured to provide intelligent workflows, enhanced collaboration, powerful search capabilities, and insightful reporting for all business processes. Having a single environment reduces the:
- costs of maintaining multiple licenses
- number of documents and specialist staff required to support multiple systems
- perception that ‘quality is a department, not a shared responsibility’.
- Being part of the Microsoft family, there’s a whole world of support available for SharePoint users, reducing the need for in-house specialists. Most problems can simply be googled, unlike with a bespoke product. SharePoint is a mature product, well understood by a large global community of users, and is definitely here to stay.
- Combined and tightly integrated with Microsoft® Office 365™, SharePoint provides cost-effective access from any device and any location with internet access, subject to user permissions you nominate.
- A SharePoint EDMS can be configured and validated, but best of all comes with a CFR Part 11 audit trail like switch ready to be flicked straight out the box!
- A SharePoint EDMS provides complete document lifecycle management. Document creation, review, approval, publication, distribution and version management are all automated. The Reviewer and/or Approver receives automated action notices and reminders, keeping reviews on track and maintaining compliance.
- Your SharePoint EDMS provides templates for various document types, improving consistency in document content and format. A consistent look and feel across all your controlled documents enhances the perception that your Document Management System is indeed under control – a huge time saver during an audit.
- Document recovery is simplified, meaning you can quickly roll back to an earlier version if necessary. Obsolete versions are electronically archived for audit and legal purposes, and access to them is limited to nominated users (e.g. Document Control staff).
- Records & confidential documents can be locked down with advanced information rights management that stops your information from leaving your company through fraud or accident.
- All user actions are recorded, creating a complete audit trail. Each document review creates a full change history, making it easy to see when, why and by whom a change was made.
- The SharePoint platform can serve as the foundation on which to build other Quality and business modules, such as Deviations, CAPA, Customer Feedback, Change Control, Audits, Expense and leave management, or as a CRM.
If you’ve decided to make the move from a paper-based Document Management System to a SharePoint Electronic Document Management System (EDMS), contact the QikSolve team today to learn about how their Ibiqs® SharePoint EDMS product could be the answer to simplifying your document control problems.
As the GFC taught us, arguably MicroSoft is too big to fail, can this be said about all your other software providers?